Dressing up as a favorite anime character is a fun way to show your love of anime, especially if you plan to go to a convention. One of the first things you should ask yourself is whether you’d like to put together your own costume, or buy one already made.
Making Your Own Costume
If you choose a simple costume or have decent sewing skills, you may choose to make your own costume. Here are some tips:
- To save money and time, determine if any pieces of your costume can be found in ordinary clothing stores. Among other things, simple clothes such as solid shirts, pants, or skirts should be fairly easy to find.
- You may get a better result if you can find a basic pattern from a sewing shop or have some clothes you want to modify rather than starting completely from scratch.
- Goodwill and other thrift shops are a great place to look for costume supplies. The clothes are incredibly cheap so you can modify a piece you buy there without feeling too bad if something goes wrong and you need to replace it.
- Shopping online for pieces of your costume can yield good results for items that are harder to find. Online marketplaces like yesstyle.com, etsy.com, buycostumes.com, and amazon.com are good places to start looking.
- Check out cosplay forums like Cosplay Island and cosplay.com to see what techniques others have used when cosplaying the same character.
- If you’ve never sewn before but want to try sewing something, stick with a costume that involves simple patterns and minimal sewing.
- Hair goes a long way in completing a look – if the character you are going to portray has a different style and color of hair than you, consider investing in a wig.
- If you can wait until after Halloween, many costume shops put their wigs and other costume supplies for sale at a great discount.